Get the right car seat
Make sure you're using the right car seat for your child's age, weight, and height. Read your car seat's instructions for size limits.
Get full explanation/demonstration from sale assistant upon purchase and read the instructions manual.
This will help you install the seat correctly.
Install your car seat correctly.
Make sure your seat is:
- In the back seat. All children under age 13 should ride in the back seat, so install car seat whenever possible.
- Never install a rear-facing car seat in front of an active passenger seat with the airbag; it can cause severe injury or death to rear-facing infants.
- Facing the correct direction. Remember to keep your child rear-facing as long as allowed by the car seat manufacturer. Don't hurry to turn your child forward-facing, as research shows that young child passengers are safest when riding rear-facing.
- Reclined at the correct angle. Some seats have an adjustable recline future. Check your car seat manufacturer's instructions to be sure your car seat is properly reclined.
- Installed using wither the seat belt or ISOFIX anchorage point. Remove twists or slack from the seat belt and check your car seat manual to make sure you've threaded the seat belt straps through the correct path on the car seat. If you are using an ISOFIX car seat, ensure the indicator show the correct installation.
- Installed tightly. The car seat shouldn't move side-to-side or front-to-back more than 1 inch at the belt path.
Buckle your child in the car seat, every time
Remember the buckling your child incorrectly is just as important as installing the seat correctly.
Be sure to check
The position of the harness straps
Straps should be routed through the harness slots at or just below your child's shoulders
Straps should be routed through the harness slots at or just above your child's shoulders
Fix the harness. The harness straps should be snug and free of twists, You shouldn't be able to pibch excess webbing at your child's shoulders.
The harness buckle. Make sure buckle pieces are fully inserted and secure.